Sunday, July 3, 2016

How Expensive Is This Habit?

I was sipping my iced tea the other day...Forever Nuts by DAVIDsTEA,and I got to wondering how much I was actually using this summer. I love it. Between that and BFF from T by Daniel I'm going through a LOT of Iced Tea.

How much is this habit?? Especially with a heavier tea like Forever Nuts??

So I thought it would be fun to do a few calculations. Out came the kitchen scale, my perfect spoon and a few of my favourite DAVIDsTEAs. (For this experiment I only used my DAVIDsTEAs.)

Please note: I use two rather heaping PS for iced tea OR a pot of tea. So the cost associated with an iced tea is the SAME as for a pot of tea. I use a level PS for a cup of tea, that's why they're not perfectly halved all the time. Hope that makes sense.

Here are the results:



The moral of the story is this is not a cheap habit, but nor is it as expensive as getting a Starbuck's everyday, or even a Timmy's (if you were like me and got 1-2 a day). 

Sharing a pot of tea with a loved one keeps the cost down, too! 

Other ways to keep the costs down, if that's what you're looking to do, are to drink less dense teas. Forever Nuts is a very dense tea, making it very costly per spoonful, whereas White Nectarine, although more costly per gram, is actually less per serving since you use fewer grams in that serving. And...resteep your teas! Black teas cannot be resteeped due to the tannic acids released but other teas can. In fact, many teas, particularly oolongs, release a lovely new flavour upon resteeping. This could cut your cost in half, or thirds, or less, depending on how much you resteep.

Keep in mind this is only comparing one BRAND of tea, and one type of tea: looseleaf. This doesn't include grocery store bagged tea, etc. 

HOWEVER...because I'm dense (lol) I love my dense tea Forever Nuts and I will keep drinking it!

So for something luxurious, and wonderful, and healthy, I say, "Sign me up!!!" It's a vice I don't mind having. What are your thoughts?

Happy Steeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment